Posts

Showing posts from December, 2011

The problem with LinkedIn

I used to admire LinkedIn. It served a purpose, had a solid business model and meant recruiters could easily find me and contact me. LinkedIn had the amazing advantage of doing three things that could seemed contradictory at first glance but worked in its unique ecosystem:
Provide me with a convenient place to host my resumeAllow me to contact recruiters and peersDo so without being an addictive platform like Facebook or Twitter (my personal opinion)
Basically, the sweet thing about LinkedIn is that you could just create your profile and only log in when absolutely necessary such as when you changed jobs or earned a new qualification. LinkedIn had a definite purpose and everybody was using it the way it was meant to be utilized: as a platform to connect recruiters and prospective candidates and to allow professionals to grow their networks and showcase their skills.

Then, things changed. People started using LinkedIn as a way to get in touch with key executives to sell their products o…

The Internet in Mauritius sucks and Mauritius Telecom does not care

Image
There is an Internet in Mauritius that is a source of grief for 90% of its users. The other 10% cannot connect to the web to post about their grievances because their Internet has not been working for 3 months. Worse yet, they are still paying for an Internet service they cannot use and never hope to use again. However, I can (hence this blog) and I have finally decided to put on my masked avenger's mask and write about the joke Internet offered by Mauritius Telecom.

There are many things to complain about when it comes to Mauritius Telecom's "Internet" services. In fact, there are so many I do not even know where to start. As such, I'm probably going to end up just rambling at a certain point without any due regard for structure, flow, and all the intricacies of Shakespeare. However, it does not matter because whining about the crap Internet in Mauritius never gets old. It's actually almost become a hobby for many people now. This is made even more thrilling …